Public Charter School
Our public charter school lottery for the 2017-2018 school year was run on March 21, 2017. Applications for the 2018-2019 school year will be posted on January 3, 2018. Please visit our site at that time to obtain an application. Applications will be accepted from that date until Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Our charter lottery will be run on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. All applicants will be notified of their status by Thursday, March 22.
Procedures for Admission
Children will be eligible for admission regardless of race, cultural background, intellectual ability, or physical impairment. To be eligible for kindergarten admission, students must be 5 years of age on or before August 31. See G.S. 115C-364.
Admission to the Casa Esperanza Charter School is determined by our annual lottery. In accordance with North Carolina charter admissions statutes preference is given to the following groups: children of the school’s full-time employees, siblings of currently enrolled student who were admitted to the school in a previous charter year, and students who was enrolled in the charter school within the two previous school years but left the school (i) to participate in an academic study abroad program or a competitive admission residential program or (ii) because of the vocational opportunities of the student’s parent. (For additional information on our Admission procedures please see the school’s Admissions Policy.)
- Applications will be sorted by student grade.
- Notice of the impending lottery will be advertised one month prior to lottery date.
- The lottery process will occur on March 20, 2018 starting at 4:00 p.m. and will be witnessed by at least one member of the Board.
- Children will be assigned a random number and be ordered on the appropriate grade list in ascending order, with preference given to children of staff members and siblings.
- Children will be assigned to available enrollment openings according to listed order.
- Any remaining children will be assigned in their lottery order to a grade appropriate wait list.
- Parents/guardians will be notified in writing of an admission space and asked to commit or decline within seven calendar days from receipt of notification.
- If parents decline an opening, the family of the next child on the appropriate age wait list will be contacted about the opening in writing.
- All applications received after 3:30 pm on March 16, 2018 will be added to the appropriate wait list. If space in the program becomes available, children are offered spaces according to the lottery number they have been assigned.
The admission process for Charter School Students is independently and publicly verifiable for fairness and compliance with written procedure.